On June 2, 2021, Huawei held a press conference to officially launch HarmonyOS, which aimed to provide a faster, smoother operating experience. On the same day, Huawei announced that it will continue to upgrade HarmonyOS 2.0 to its smart devices. Huawei smartwatch series named Huawei Watch 3 has become the first smartwatch to have HarmonyOS 2 pre-installed. In general, there are three highlights brought by the HarmonyOS system, namely Internet of Everything, App Expansion, and eSIM support.
Internet of Everything: At Huawei’s Harmony OS launch conference, the spokesman for the Huawei software department said the operating system, which uses distributed technology, covers all devices and achieves free hardware combinations, so as to achieve a more consistent system experience, realize the interconnection of every smart device, and bring better intelligent user experience.
Third-party Apps Expansion: Limited by US sanctions, Huawei choose to build its own apps and services without Google GMS. Huawei Watch3 series smartwatch supports more third-party apps to ensure software scalability, and its App Gallary realizes downloading apps without users’ paired smartphones.
eSim Support: With eSim installed, Huawei Watch 3 allows users to make and receive a phone call, play music, and download apps without the phone. Furthermore, users can share the data plans between their smartphone and smartwatch by activating the eSIM service on their smartphones.
UPDATE TO HARMONYOS 22.214.171.124: NEW FEATURES OF HUAWEI WATCH 3
Not long after it was released in June, Huawei WATCH 3 series is now receiving HarmonyOS 126.96.36.199 updates with 239MB download package size and new features such as SMS reply and hand-washing detection.
Update Log – New features:
- SMS reply is supported;
- When the screen is off, you can rise the wrist to display the main dial or off the screen;
- New hand-washing detection function is added to teach users to wash their hands scientifically (Open Path: Settings> Accessibility> Handwashing);
- A free 5-minute trial of the paid watch face;
- The charging dial interface is opened by default during charging to reduce mistouch operation and improve the charging experience (Press the crown to close);
- More formats of mobile phone local music are supported importing into the watch.
Note: This update is being rolled out in China.
Except for Huawei Watch 3, more Huawei devices are also getting updated. Other older flagships will also be upgraded to Harmony 2.0.