Without all the required documents, getting your Kenyan passport can be difficult and seem nearly impossible, However, with all the documents ready at hand and knowledge of the correct procedures, you’ll be able to acquire your passport with less hassle and in just a few days.
As of 1st September 2017, Kenya offers digitized ePassports which will contain a small chip. The chip stores all personal information and a digital photo. To ensure you do not miss your booked flight, ensure you begin application for your passport at least 30 days in advance.
It’s important to note that individuals traveling within the East African region only need a temporary passport. Those traveling outside the East African region must however follow the below procedure in applying for a full passport.
So what are the required documents
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- 2. Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommenders ID Card copy.
- Parents National ID cards copies or Death Certificate if deceased.
- Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three invoices.
- For applicants who are below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardian’s written consent must be provided.
- For applicants who are adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the children’s department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
The passport application form must be filled at the eCitizen portal and the application recommended in section 7 by a citizen of Kenya who is a Minister of Religion, a Medical or Legal practitioner, an established Civil Servant or Bank Official personally acquainted with the applicant. The person recommending the applicant must not be an immediate relative.
Passport photographs are very specific and any errors can lead to rejection of your application.
1. The photographs must be three in number.
2. The photographs must be taken full face without a hat.
3. The photographs must not be mounted.
4. The size of the photographs must not be more than 2½ inches by 2 inches or less than 2 inches by 1½ inches.
5. The photographs must be printed on normal thin photographic paper and must not be glazed on the reverse side.
6. The person recommending the applicant is required to endorse the reverse side of one copy of the photographs with the words: I certify that this is a true likeness of the applicant Mr. (Mrs. or Miss) and add his signature.
Citizens are advised to start the application process by filling the application form on the eCitizen portal. The applicant is also supposed to pay Passport fees via mobile money as instructed in the application form.
Kenyan passport fees are as follows.
- A series (32 pages) – Ksh. 4,550
- B series (48 pages) – Ksh. 6,050
- C series (64 pages) – Ksh. 7,550
- Diplomatic – Ksh. 7,550
The applicant then has to visit immigration offices in Nairobi, Mombasa, and Kisumu to drop the rest of the documents and have their bio-metrics taken. Those outside the country can apply for the passport in Kenyan Embassies and consulates all over the world.
After successful application, your passport is then available for collection in at least 15 working days.