The Bloggers Association of Kenya (BAKE) announced last week the launch of the BAKE Awards 2018. The launch coincided with the submission phase of the competition.
The annual blogging competition, which is in its 7th year, celebrates the best of Kenyan blogging.
The competition began on, January 11th, 2018, where BAKE are accepting submissions in 22 categories. Thereafter judges will decide the best 5 nominees from the submitted blogs and then voting will be open to the public. The winners will then be awarded at a gala event on May 12th, 2018. The timeline this year is as follows:
1. Submissions phase – January 11th, 2018 to March 6th, 2018
2. Judging phase – March 10th 2018 to March 27th, 2018
3. Online voting – March 28th, 2018 to April 30th, 2018
4. Winners’Gala event – May 5th, 2018
BAKE have introduced 3 categories this year, i.e. Best Environment Blog, Best Beauty and Hair Blog and Best Video Blog (Vlog). The total number of categories is 23.
Last year’s contest saw 10,000 blogs being submitted and 800,000 votes being recorded. Women did well last year with bloggers such as Jamila El-Jabry (lifeinmombasa.com), Maryann Waweru (mummytales.com), Rachael Muthoni (safari254.com), Diana Kaluhi (kaluhiskitchen.com), Rayhab Gachango (potentash.com), Dr. Wandia Njoya (wandianjoya.com), Nyawira Mumenya (curveswithstyle.com) emerging winners.
The awards also witnessed first-time winners Magunga Williams (www.magunga.com) and Owaahh (www.owaahh.com) clinching the Kenyan Blog of the year and Best Topical Blog respectively.
To submit blogs to the BAKE Awards 2018, bloggers and their fans should visit https://submit.bakeawards.co.ke/
You can submit your blogs under these categories:
1. Best Technology Blog- Blogs that cover technology matters like gadgets, Social Media, web culture, Internet usage, tech startups etc.
2. Best Photography Blog– Blogs that showcase original photos or have photography related content.
3. Best Creative Writing Blog– For blogs that feature original creative writing in the form of poetry, book reviews, fiction, and essays.
4. Best Business Blog. Submit blogs that feature business content like business development, entrepreneurship, startups, stocks, investments, banking, finance etc.
5. Best Food Blog– This category deals with blogs that focus on food, cooking tips, restaurants, wines, and recipes.
6. Best Environmental Blog. A category with a focus on the environment.
7. Best Fashion and Style Blog– Submitted blogs should highlight current trends in fashion and style.
8. Best Agricultural Blog-Blogs that cover the Agricultural sector and food security in Kenya.
9. Best New Blog-Outstanding Blogs that were set up from January 2017 onwards.
10. Best Corporate Blog– Blogs that are run by brands/companies.
11. Best Topical Blog– Blogs with a clear niche that is not represented in any of the other categories.
12. Best Sports Blog– submissions should feature sports content.
13. Best Entertainment Blog An exclusive category about the Kenyan entertainment industry.
14. Best Education Blog– A category that majors on education matters in Kenya.
15. Best Travel Blog– Blogs about travel.
16. Best Public Health Blog– Blogs that focus on public healthcare in Kenya.
17. Best County Blog County-based blogs that feature content from a specific County.
18. Best Religious or Spirituality Blog– Blogs that feature content on religion and/or spirituality.
19. Best Lifestyle Blog– Blogs that focus on Kenyan lifestyle across diverse topics.
20. Best Beauty and Hair Blog– Blogs that focus on beauty and hair.
21. Best Video Blog (Vlog)-Blogs that use video, hosted on platforms such as YouTube, to communicate to their audiences.
22. Best Social Issues and Active Citizenship Blog-Blogs that focus on Social issues affecting Kenyans and that promotes active citizenship in Kenya.
23. Kenyan Blog of the Year-Best overall Kenyan blog.
Please Note: The rule that makes three-time (or more) winners in the awards ineligible to compete, still stands.
Any questions and clarifications Click here