ORPP: How to check if you have been registered as a member of a political party without your consent
It has come to the limelight that many individuals have been signed as members of political parties in the country without their consent. This anomaly occurs because political parties are required by law to submit a list of members to the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties (ORPP). As such, most if not all of them use some dubious means to sign up members.
The members are especially important in an election year since they can run as a candidate in elections and can also vote in the preliminaries to select candidates who will run in the elections.
How to check your Membership status
- Head over to the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties (ORPP) website orpp.or.ke/index.php/en/
- Look on the right of the Home Page or whichever page hosted on the site. You should see a banner headed:
Political Parties Membership Status
Click here to check your political party membership status
- Click on the banner.
- This will open a new tab and direct you to it. The URL of this new tab is http://ppmstatus.orpp.or.ke/ppregstatus/public.aspx. Surprisingly, the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties (ORPP) has not taken the basic measures such as ensuring that the site is HTTPS compliant. Because of this ignorance your connection to the above site is not encrypted. This means that anyone can snoop in on the traffic between you and the servers. This is not healthy given that you are inputting personal information in the site. ID No. are very personal and unique to each individual.
- Alternatively, you can head directly the above link to check if you are registered with any political party.
- This tab will have only one input field labelled:
Enter ID No. /PP No.
- Enter either your National Identification Number or Passport Number in the field provided.
- Then click on the View Report Tab which is located to the right of the input field.
- Wait for a few seconds for the report to be generated.
- In the report generated you will have two main sections:
- Member Registration Details
- Party Registration Details
- If you are registered to any registration party your registration status will read REGISTERED. The member registration details will display your Surname, Other Names, Date of Birth, ID/Passport No. and Gender.
- The party registration details will display the Party Name you are signed on with or without your consent, your party Membership No., your Designation in the Party and finally your Registration Date.
If you have been registered as a member of a political party without your consent simply right an email to email@example.com with a request to have you disassociated with the said political party. Do not forget to include your ID No. in the email.