First it was Video Calling. Ability to have face-to-face conversations with another party. It was only a matter of time before this feature evolved to reflect our habits. People engage more in group settings. That’s the core of social communities. As such, Facebook Messenger has realised this and that is why the company is launching Group Video Chat, the ability to video chat in groups.
The good news is that this new feature started rolling out to Android and iOS devices yesterday, 19th December, 2016s. For the individuals who use their desktops to access the app worry not. Messenger has got you covered. The new feature is also rolling out to the desktop version of Messenger worldwide.
“As we close the year, we’re thrilled to launch the most requested Messenger feature ever – the ability to video chat in groups. Group Video Chat in Messenger makes it simple and seamless to stay connected face-to-face. Starting today, Group Video Chat is rolling out to Android and iOS devices, and the desktop version of Messenger, worldwide.”
-via Messenger Blog
How to start Group Video Chat
- You will need to download the latest version of Messenger
- Launch the Messenger app
- Then jump into an existing group conversation
- Alternatively, you can go ahead and create a new group
- Then tap on the video icon on the upper right of the screen to enter the video chat
- By doing so, everyone in the group will be notified
- Every member of the group can join when they are ready
- Alternatively you can also ring just a few people or the whole group to get them to nudge them to join the group video chat
Messenger is giving you the power to turn group chats into face-to-face conversations. If there are six people or less you have the option to either view all participants’ video at once or just highlight the active speaker. Once you go beyond six, just the dominant speaker is shown to all participants. Up to 50 friends can join in and choose to just listen in and join via voice, or be on camera.
This new feature is just in time for the festive season. It is simply the best way to share news or engage with family and friends in ways that words alone cannot.