Data privacy is a concern in this connected world. If you do not take measures to protect your data then you are risking it landing in the wrong hands. We have heard of hackers who break into your computer and hold it for ransom lest you meet their demands. Why should you make the break in very easy? The first step is protecting your computer in any public Wi-Fi hotspot. You can opt to subscribe to any VPN provider to secure your communication to the internet through these public hotspots.
Before you connect to a new Wi-Fi hotspot Windows 10 gives you the option of determining if you would wish to allow your PC to be discoverable to other PCs in the network. If you opt for yes the Wi-Fi connection is set as Private while no renders your connection profile as Public.
If by mistake you click yes yet the hotspot connection is a public hotspot, follow the steps below to change the Wi-Fi profile from Private to Public.
How to change Wi-Fi profile from Private to Public
- Click on the Start
- Then click on the settings option to open the settings app.
- Alternatively use the short code Windows Key + I to open the settings app.
- In the settings app click on the Network & Internet
- Because you are connected to a Wi-Fi connection click on the Wi-Fi settings option.
- This will open the Wi-Fi settings dialog box. While connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot you would like to move from the Private profile to private, click on the advanced options
- At the top of the next dialog box there is an option marked Make this PC discoverable. At the bottom are instruction of what the adjacent button does.
Allow your PC to be discoverable by other Pcs and devices on this network. We recommend turning this on for private networks at home or work, but turning it off for public networks to help keep your stuff safe.
Turn the button off to change the Wi-Fi hotspot from a Private profile to Public profile.