The first time you install a new Windows 10 it will prompt you to create a Microsoft account. The good thing with this is that should you one day forget your password you can always use another computer to recover your account. For the individuals who fail to create a Microsoft Account and opt for a local account that they are used to for quite a while now the process of recovering your account is different. This is because you only have the option of using a password reset disk to recover your account. Woe unto you if you have never created one before.
Below we shall highlight how to create a password reset disk on a USB flash drive and how to use it when the time arises. Note that this procedure applies only to local user accounts.
How to create a password reset disk
Note that this procedure applies to Windows 10 Pcs. The procedure might differ slightly when using an earlier Windows OS.
- First plug the USB flash drive you intend to use as the password reset disk into your Windows 10 PC.
- Right click the Start Button.
- Then click on the Control Panel
- In the control panel window scroll to the User Accounts setting and click it.
- This will lead you to the User Accounts settings page. Choose the first option which is also labelled User Accounts.
- Click on create a password reset disk.
- Click on Next.
- Then click on the dropdown menu and choose the device you intend the password reset disk to be created on.
- Then you will be prompted to enter your local account password. This is the password you use to log into the current local account.
- Click Next.
- A progress bar will appear. Click Next once it completes the action.
- Then finally click Finish.
Alternatively you can also decide to use a SD card as your password reset disk. As a word of caution, you should keep your password reset disk in a safe place because anyone who has it can literally log into your PC without breaking a sweat.
How to use a password reset disk
Once you forget your password carry out the following procedure to recover your account:
- While still on the lock screen click Reset password. Make sure that you have plugged in your password reset disk before you do this.
- Click Next.
- Then click on the dropdown menu and chose the device your password reset disk is located on.
- Click Next.
- You will now be prompted to type in a new password.
- You will need to confirm the new password.
- Then you will be presented with an option to create a password hint.
- Then click Finish.
Once you carry out this procedure the password to your account will automatically be reset. You can go ahead and use the password you just created to gain access to your account again.