How to apply for a Kenyan Temporary travel permit/passport

Written by
  • 5 years ago
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 at 10:00 am

Do you need to travel within East Africa? Some time back all what you had to do was pack and go. This was because you were guaranteed that you will be issued with a temporary travel permit at the border stop. Alternatively you could walk to Nyayo House early in advance and apply for the temporary passport to travel within East Africa. That was before the Immigration Department digitised things.

Now as we speak things are quite different. You literary do not have to step foot at the Immigration offices to apply for the temporary travel permit within East Africa. You also do not need to spend a handful of time at the border offices applying for the temporary travel permit. This is all thanks to the convenience of digitization.

The Government through the Department of Immigration now requires Kenyans to apply for Kenyan temporary passport/permit online through the eCitizen portal.

Procedure for applying

The following is the not so technical process of applying for the temporary travel document:

  1. Head over to the eCitizen portal.
  2. Log in if you have an account. If you do not have an account go ahead and create one.
  3. Once logged in navigate to Department of Immigration Services.
  4. Then click on Temporary permits.
  5. Next chose whether the application form you require is for a child or adult.
  6. You will then be directed to a page that has the application guidelines and costs.
  7. At the bottom of the page click on apply now to be directed to the online application form.
  8. Go ahead and fill the form with all the details required.
  9. Once you are done you will be directed to the payments page where you will be requested to choose your preferred payment method. The temporary permit costs 350.
  10. Once you make the payment you can go head and download your Temporary permit.
  11. The final thing you need to do is print the permit and then attach your passport photo.

Note that on day of travel you will be required to present your Temporary permit and original ID to the Immigration officer when leaving the country. For minors they will need to present their birth certificate.

What is your opinion on the topic?
See also  Over 70% of Kenyan businesses are vulnerable to cybercrime
Article Categories: