After a recent announcement that Facebook’s active user population in Africa has grown 20% to 120 million in June 2015 from 100 million in September 2014, Statistics show that 2.2 million Kenyans use Facebook every day and 4.5 million each month.
In the same report, Nigeria has also been recognized for its usability being 7.1 million daily users and 15 million active monthly users. The report shows almost all these people log in through their mobile device: 100% of Nigerian monthly users are active on mobile as are 95% of Kenya’s monthly users.
Nunu Ntshingila, newly appointed Head of Africa at Facebook, said: “At Facebook, we have a saying that we’re only 1% done, and this couldn’t be truer for Facebook in Africa. I’m only beginning this journey, and I’m already incredibly inspired by the power of connection – from the smallest moments to fostering global conversations. Everyone on Facebook has a story, and I can’t wait to hear the stories from Kenya and Nigeria firsthand.”
According to Facebook, Mobile is not a trend; it’s the fastest adoption of disruptive technology in history of communication. It’s also an incredibly personal device regardless of where a person lives or how they connect, and businesses need to reach people where they are, not where they were, in an authentic, personal and relevant way. I look forward to spending time with businesses across Africa to understand how we can work together.
South Africa recorded 7.3 million total daily users with 6.9 million being mobile users as well as 12 million total active monthly users with all of those being total monthly active users accessing the application through mobile devices.
Facebook recently opened its first office in Africa to further the company’s commitment to help businesses connect with people and grow locally and regionally. The new office is the next step in furthering Facebook’s investment in Africa and its people. The team in Africa will focus initially on Kenya (East Africa), Nigeria (West Africa), and South Africa (Southern Africa).
- Daily active users (DAUs)– DAUs were 968 million on average for June 2015, an increase of 17% year-over-year. Now 65% of monthly active users are also daily active users.
• Mobile DAUs – Mobile DAUs were 844 million on average for June 2015, an increase of 29% year-over-year.
• Monthly active users (MAUs) – MAUs were 1.49 billion as of June 30, 2015, an increase of 13% year-over-year. (This is half of the world’s internet population of 3B)
• Mobile MAUs – Mobile MAUs were 1.31 billion as of June 30, 2015, an increase of 23% year- over-year.
• Time spent: Across Facebook, Messenger and Instagram, people are now spending more than 46 minutes per day on average.
• 65% of people who use Facebook come back every day.