Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) is looking to administer entrepreneurs from Kenya who wish to spend a year in Accra to take part in intensive training program that will result to a launch of individual software company with potential for seed investment opportunities from the MEST incubator.
With expansion into Kenya, the accra based incubator will mark the third country in Africa where it has a foothold in the tech ecosystem. Since it’s inception, MEST has trained over 200 Ghanaian and Nigerian entrepreneurs and invested $15 million in the training program and incubator, which has provided seed funding to over 20 startups.
These companies have developed solutions addressing global markets, created jobs, competed in top global technology events such as TechCrunch Disrupt, DEMO, and the Launch Festival, and have gained admittance to top accelerator programs such as 500 Startups and Health-XL.
MEST is looking to exponentially increase the business ideas that come from this kind of meeting of the minds. The incubator is also looking to expand that by including other perspectives from across Africa.
One Year Intensive
In addition to opening its recruiting to Kenya applicants, MEST has shifted its program from two to one years. With this change, MEST hopes to acquire the skills they desire to launch the next generation of leading software companies in Africa.
MEST will also be expanding the reach of its incubator program across the continent, with plans to have new locations and mentor networks established in the coming years in Nairobi, Lagos, Cape Town and Johannesburg, in addition to its flagship, original incubator complex in Accra.
MEST plans to have strategic corporate partners in each market, who assist, support and promote our program entry into new cities. This expansion enables a clear network effect amongst our points of presence and helps empower MEST portfolio companies to reach broader audiences of potential consumers, clients and partners
MEST offers the following incentives during training;
- Intensive hands-on training in software development and entrepreneurship
- Free housing, monthly stipend, tuition, meals and a laptop
- Seed funding to launch your company, together with subsidized office space (comes with generator power and high-speed internet)
- Numerous workshops, talks, and other opportunities to network with domain experts
- Mentoring and access to executives at global software companies, entrepreneurs and the VC community
- Significant personal and professional growth and exciting career potential
- Numerous chances to solve real life business problems with innovative solutions
Soon to launch, an incubator hub network whereby EITs have the opportunity to launch their businesses in Nairobi, Lagos, Cape Town and Johannesburg, in addition to the incubator in Accra
Here is the criteria to join MEST
With the deadline set for June 1st, the incubation programme has pointed out specific qualifications to be part of it. Registration will be done through; meltwater.org/school/admissions
- Have a deep passion to start a software company
- Have 3-5 years entrepreneurial or corporate work experience
- Can commit a year in Accra, Ghana participating in the MEST training program starting August 2015