Ok..much has been said about the mvitus,the act of naming majority of Kenyan apps starting with letter “m”. Well, the letter m usually indicate that the app is a mobile application. But most people now think that it is being overused. Here are the list of a few of them…By the way the number one mKitu is MPESA…
- Mpesa– M-Pesa (M for mobile, pesa is Swahili for money) is a mobile-phone based money transfer service for Safaricom, Kenya’s largest mobile network operator.
- M-ARV by Techne Craft Solutions LTD – An application that runs in the background of a mobile phone and reminds users to take Anti Retro Viral drugs at critical times for people living with HIV and AIDS.
- M-Chanjo by M-Chanjo – An application that creates a centralized registry for children who should be in an immunization program, creates SMS reminders as a way of creating awareness and reminding patients of scheduled appointments, and manages patients’ appointments through an automated system
- MPAYER by Zege Technologies – MPAYER aims to make Mobile Money payments with enterprises easier, more efficient and much faster than current configurations. It aims to make mobile money more malleable.
- M-Shop by MTL Systems Limited – A platform allowing consumers to order, pay for, obtain and validate tickets for events, travel, goods & services. The solution provides USSD technology or a mobile application on smart phones to deliver this convenience at any time and from any location with a mobile carrier signal.
- M-Farm by M-Farm Limited – A market transparency tool for farmers. Kenyan farmers simply SMS the number 3535 to get information pertaining to the retail price of their products, to buy their farm inputs directly from manufacturers at favorable prices, and to find buyers for their
- MPrep– An SMS-based study solution for students, teachers, and schools by M-Prep Ltd. MPrep is a Khan Academy for the bottom of the pyramid. It is a platform that gives students access to quality study materials aligned to local content using ubiquitous mobile devices. They aim at giving schools access to meaningful data about the students.According to their website
Mhasibu that seeks to assist users manage their expenses, debts and give users alerts on pending bills
- Mpoultry – Mpoultry is a simple technological solution that enables chicken farmers to simply monitor the conditions of the brooder via SMS. It utilizes environmental sensors and an android device to monitor the temperature, lights and chicken feed inside the brooder. The farmer receives an SMS when his intervention is required. The app is by MLFocus (U) Ltd
- MVerify – A platform to verify documents that include certificates, references, land title deeds.
- Mtu wa Job
Update thanks to @hildamoraa and I am still checking out what they do
This list is not complete, if spot any msomething anywhere ping me..