Now you can get Gmail on your feature phone in Kenya, Ghana and Nigeria
According to Google support site , Gmail lets you use email on any cell phone, even basic phones that only support voice and SMS. You are able to receive, reply, and send emails as SMS messages, regardless of whether you have a data connection like wifi or 3G.
Here’s how to start auto-forwarding new email messages to your phone:
- Go to Gmail.
- Click your profile photo at the top of any Gmail page and click Account.
- Click Open SMS settings in the “Phone and SMS” section.
- Add or edit your phone number to receive Gmail to that number.
- Verify your phone number by entering the verification code that we sent as SMS to your phone.
- Check the box for email forwarding to your phone.
Once you start auto-forwarding, you can also reply to emails and compose new emails as SMS.
Here’s a few details about this feature:
Mobile operator charges: Receiving SMS is free of charge, but your standard rate charge applies to each SMS sent from your phone, be it a reply or any command.
Mobile operators supported:
- Ghana – Airtel, MTN, Tigo, and Vodafone
- Kenya – Airtel, Orange, Safaricom, and Yu
- Nigeria – Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, MTN, Starcomms, and Visafone